433 11 Ave SE, Calgary
Arriva is an example of how the coveted title of “tallest building” can add an immense amount of prestige to an otherwise standard residential development. Although Arriva was ousted from its position of tallest high-rise condo in Calgary by the colossal Guardian towers, Calgarians continue to recognize Arriva as synonymous with status and stature.
There is no question that Arriva is striking in its design and finishings (both exterior and interior), however the building lacks basic amenities commonly expected of condominiums in the same price range. Arriva offers a large meeting room, a simple promenade, and two guest suites available for rent, but gym facilities and entertainment spaces (ie. indoor lounge, outdoor BBQs/gardens/seating areas) are noticeably missing.
Arriva’s location on the edge of the warehouse district, across from Cowboy’s Casino, also leaves something to be desired. Although handy during Stampede and ideal for Flames fans who spend a lot of time at the Saddledome, there are few grocery stores, restaurants, or park areas within easy walking distance. Instead, Arriva is surrounded by several empty lots and car parks, which kick up dust and make for less-than-picturesque surroundings. However, this area is undergoing a development rebirth and may see improvement in the future.
Arriva is not without its positives. Arriva’s convex, sail-like shape makes it an iconic part of the city skyline. Interior common spaces are equally as striking, with chrome wall panelling and an impressive chandelier in its spacious and elegant lobby. Floor-to-ceiling windows can be equally admired from outside the building or within its suites.
Unit interiors are elegantly finished with high-end appliances, European-style cabinetry, and Caesarstone quartz countertops. Unit styles range from one to three bedrooms, with a variety of sizes and layouts to choose from for each unit style. For example, certain some units may offer more storage space in their large in-suite laundry rooms, while others put that square footage toward living areas.
Living at Arriva provides a certain amount of prestige, and guests are sure to be impressed by the building’s opulent common areas and panoramic views. However, buyers should expect that their dollar will go towards style, rather than amenities or location.
- Year Completed: 2007
- Community: Victoria Park – Beltline
- Developer: Torode Residential Ltd.
- Architect: BKDI (now Zeidler)
- Total Number of Units: 167 (36 storeys)
- Unit Styles: Single-level apartment style units (ranging from one to three bedrooms) + Lofts
- Unit Size Range: 800 sq. ft. – 3,000 sq. ft.
- Unit Price Range: approx. $360,000 – $1,900,000
- Avg. Condominium Fee: approx. $0.57 – $0.61 per sq. ft.
- Parking Options: Titled underground parking (1-2 stalls depending on unit)
- Storage Options: Assigned storage lockers and in-unit storage
- Building Amenities:
- High-speed elevators
- Secured parking
- Impressive foyer with chandelier
- Meeting room equipped with a kitchen
- Two well-appointed guest suites for rent (flat-screen TV, WiFi)
- 4th floor promenade
- Full-time concierge/security
- Medical centre, cafes, and restaurants at podium level (INLIV, Rosso Coffee Roasters, Vagabond)
- Unit Features:
- Floor-to-ceiling windows
- Balconies with natural gas hook-ups
- High-end appliances (Fisher & Paykel and Bosch)
- Caesarstone quartz countertops
- Italian Snaidero kitchen cabinetry
- Hardwood and tile flooring
- Glass showers and soaker tubs
- Unique to Arriva: Arriva’s floor-to-celing windows, imposing stature, and sail-like shape are an iconic part of Calgary’s skyline. Living at Arriva implies a certain level of prestige, and this visually-striking building is sure to impress. However, Arriva is located in an undeveloped area on the edge of Victoria Park and is somewhat removed from basic amenities. The building does not have any gym or spa facilities, or entertainment spaces.
About the Developer
Torode Residential Ltd. is the developer branch of the wide-ranging realty group, Torode Realty Advisors Inc. Founder John Torode established his company in Calgary in 1973, later expanding into Edmonton, Toronto, and Vancouver. Torode is responsible for a number of residential and commercial buildings in Calgary, including the popular boutique hotel, Hotel Arts.
About the Architect
Established in the late 1970s, BKDI came to be known as a leading architectural firm in Western Canada, with strong roots in Calgary. BKDI’s varied portfolio included works in architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, urban design, and graphic design. Architectural projects ranged from high-rise residential development to commercial shopping centre to educational and recreational buildings, including Destination Africa at the Calgary Zoo. BKDI was responsible for a number of prominent high-rises in Calgary, having worked frequently with renowned developer Qualex-Landmark.
In 2014, BKDI merged with the Calgary office of Zeidler, a Toronto-born architectural firm with seven offices worldwide. Zeidler worked on one of Calgary’s most iconic downtown skyscrapers, The Bow. Since the merger, Zeidler has continued to work closely with Qualex-Landmark and recently completed their latest collaboration, MARK on 10th.