Prestigious, family-friendly neighbourhood with easy access to the mountains
Aspen Woods is an affluent, family-friendly community perched on a hill at the far west end of Calgary. Located just off Sarcee Trail and Glenmore Trail, Aspen enjoys an easy fifteen-minute commute to downtown and offers quick access to the mountains via the Transcanada Highway and Highway 8. Buyers with families will love the number of highly rated schools and very low crime rates in the area. This may be why kids under 14 made up 27% of Aspen’s population in 2014 — way above the citywide average of 19%! However with property values among the highest 10% in the city, buyers will want to be sure that Aspen provides right lifestyle fit before investing in this community.
Aspen Woods was established in 2001 and is made up of mostly acreages, single-family homes (including more than a few million-dollar “executive homes”) and townhomes. With lots of stone and timber details, Aspen residences are defined by a contemporary, mountain-lodge-meets-luxury look that is distinctly Calgarian. The community’s executive homes can be described as palatial, with sprawling square footage and high-peaked roofs.
Being a newer neighbourhood, some areas of Aspen are still under development. The community scores low in terms of access to transit and walkability, but this is unlikely to be a problem for Aspen’s affluent residents (some of whom enjoy three- and four-car garages). For downtown commuters, a Park and Ride C-Train Station is located in the southeast corner of Aspen at 69th Street.
A unique feature of this community is Aspen Landing Shopping Centre, an upscale commercial centre with nearly every amenity you can think of (including branches of five major banks). Aspen Landing is not simply a shopping centre but a place for neighbours to meet and catch up over coffee, a yoga class or pottery painting. Developed with promenades, plenty of outdoor seating and even a picturesque waterfall flowing into a pond, Aspen Landing reflects the community’s love for stylish luxury.
The Webber Academy and the Calgary Academy private schools are located in west Aspen Woods, offering advanced learning opportunities and university preparation. Neighbouring residential communities Strathcona Park and Christie Park share a single community association with Aspen Woods, which hosts a variety of children’s programs including art, dance, karate and babysitting classes. There are a number of playgrounds throughout Aspen, and the community is a short drive from Edworthy Park where picnic areas, bike pathways and an off-leash dog park offer more family-friendly activities.
Another drawing feature for families of Aspen is Westside Recreation Centre, located a five to ten minute drive away in neighbouring Signal Hill. Constructed in 2000, this facility contains a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area in addition to a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides. Youth volunteers assist in running several of the kids programs (including swimming, climbing and child-minding), keeping membership costs down and promoting community engagement.
With high property values, low crime and tons of kid-friendly activities, Aspen is best suited to families with the right budget. Although located on the far west of the city, there are a number of amenities right in the community and residents can reach the downtown core within fifteen minutes. Plus, Aspen is a step closer than most areas of Calgary to the Rocky Mountains, with beautiful western vistas providing the perfect backdrop to its lavish homes.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Aspen Woods!
LIVING IN ASPEN WOODS
- Local bus routes (98, 453, 454, 456, 698 and 699)
- There are no C-Train stations in Aspen Woods; the nearest Park and Ride location is Sirocco Station which is a 5 minute drive away
- Access to Sarcee Trail and Glenmore Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Safeway and Blush Lane Organic Market all located in Aspen Woods
- Aspen Landing Shopping Centre: Major retailers and some locally owned businesses occupy this picturesque shopping centre, built on a manmade Lakeland designed with outdoor meeting spaces. Amenities include an animal hospital, a law office, a medical clinic, several major banks, boutiques, fitness studios, cafes and restaurants.
- Ten minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Walmart, Dollarama, Jubilations Dinner Theatre)
- Fifteen minute drive to Market Mall (Hudson’s Bay, Old Navy, Toys ‘R’ Us and many clothing retailers)
Dining & Nightlife
Health & Wellness
- Karma Yoga, Frilly Lilly Salon and Spa, Curious Hair Skin Body
- Several medical service providers located in Aspen Landing
- Grades K-5: Dr. Roberta Bondar School
- Grades K-6: Jennie Elliot School, Wildwood School, Olympic Heights School
- Grades 7-9: Vincent Massey School
- Grades 10-12: Ernest Manning High School
- K-6: Guardian Angel School, Holy Name School (French Immersion only)
- K-9: St. Michael School (French Immersion offered), St. Joan of Arc School
- 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (IB, Extended French offered)
THINGS TO DO IN ASPEN WOODS
- Aspen Landing Shopping Centre: Yoga and fitness studios, salons and spas, cafes and a pottery painting studio are among the number of activities available at this local shopping hub.
- Westside Recreation Centre: This recreational facility in neighbouring Signal Hill is equipped with a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides.
- Edworthy Park: One of Calgary’s largest parks, Edworthy Park is known for its designated bike and pedestrian pathways running along the Bow River as well as its large, well-appointed picnic areas with fire pits and shelters.
- WinSport: Formerly Canada Olympic Park, this ski hill and multi-sports facility was the site of the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics. Today, it serves as a high-performance athletic training and recreational facility offering skiing, sledding and hockey during the winter, and mountain biking, zip-lining and mini golf in the summer.