650 10th Street SW, Calgary
The Axxis condominiums are one of five high-rises constructed by real estate giant, Bosa Developments, in Calgary’s Downtown West End. Built between 1996 and early 2004, these high-rises have shaped the character of Calgary’s downtown skyline. Though perhaps not as stylish or well-appointed as its sister towers at Riverwest, Axxis offers comfortable, open-layout condos that are a great entry-level purchase for new homebuyers!
Built nearly twenty years ago, Axxis’ original interiors are admittedly a bit dated (you’ll feel it in the wall paper, brass accents, and window coverings). Basic white appliances and laminate countertops are standard issue at Axxis, but the units have good bones, with open-concept living areas and floor-to-ceiling windows. Some units will have been renovated, and with an affordable price point, any unit can be brought up to date. All units enjoy the timeless comfort of a living room fireplace.
A positive feature of older condominiums like Axxis is that most of their kinks have already been worked out. These buildings usually enjoy a healthy reserve fund built up over time, and a functional condo board that has established procedures in place to handle issues. However, condo fees can be a bit higher in older buildings of this vintage.
Axxis has a few key amenities, including a gym and meeting room/lounge with its own fireplace and full-sized kitchen. The lounge opens onto the building’s rooftop terrace, which is beautifully landscaped even by today’s standards. Although the lounge and gym still have the building’s original blue carpeting, the lobby and hallways have been refinished with tile and a neutral palette.
Scroll down for more information on Axxis condominiums!
AXXIS FEATURES AND AMENITIES
- Year Completed: 2000
- Community: Downtown West End
- Developer/Architect: Bosa Development
- Total Number of Units: 156 (25 storeys)
- Unit Style(s): Single-level units (studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom)
- Unit Size Range: 700 sq. ft. – 1,200 sq. ft.
- Unit Price Range: approx. $260,000 – $575,000
- Avg. Condominium Fee: approx. $0.59 – $0.65 per sq. ft. (as of 2018)
- Parking Options: Titled underground parking (1-2 stalls depending on unit)
- Storage Options: Assigned storage lockers
- Building Amenities:
- Fitness facilities
- Secured underground parking, including visitor parking
- Rooftop garden with seating areas
- Meeting room with full kitchen
- Bicycle storage
- Unit Features:
- Baseboard heating
- Floor-to-ceiling windows
- Open concept floor plans
- Unique to Axxis: Axxis offers affordable options for new buyers in a downtown location, close to the RiverWalk and Eau Claire Park. Although older, these units are on par with the developer’s reputation for quality. Condo fees are a bit higher than average, which is generally expected of older buildings.
ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
A leader in Calgary real estate development, Bosa Development has humble beginnings as a construction company founded in 1966. During the 1980s, Bosa expanded into the development sphere and rapidly spread its influence throughout Western Canada and the United States. Taking on both commercial and residential projects, Bosa is responsible for a number of ambitious developments including the Bosa Waterfront Centre in Vancouver, the Empress Hotel in Victoria, and the Insignia mixed-use high-rise in downtown Seattle. To date, Bosa is responsible for constructing over 20,000 homes, with a further 9,000 under way.
During the late 1990s, Bosa was charged with the formidable task of developing five residential high-rise towers in Calgary’s Downtown West End. Bosa was later called upon by the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation to help revitalize the East Village, where Evolution now stands and two more signature high-rises are currently under development.
Other Projects by the Developer
- Liberte (1999) – 804 3rd Avenue SW, Calgary
- Marquis (2001) – 1108 6th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Riverwest: The Barclay (2003) – 1088 6th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Riverwest: The McLeod (2004) – 1078 6th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Evolution (2016) – 519 Riverfront Ave SE and 510 6th Ave SE, Calgary
- The Royal (now selling, est. completion 2019) – 936 16th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Arris (pre-registration) – 553 Riverfront Avenue SE, Calgary
- Currie Lands (planning stage) – Flanders Ave SW, Calgary