Bankview is a lively inner city community bordered to the north by a busy stretch of 17th Avenue, Calgary’s largest and most popular dining and retail district. Although geographically a small neighbourhood, Bankview is home to a large population. This vibrant neighbourhood will appeal to young adults and families craving community engagement and culture.
Bankview is a young community — most residents are between the ages of 25 to 34, and there are very few children living in the area. The majority of homes in this neighbourhood are apartment style, although there are some older detached houses and unique infills. The average price of a detached home in Calgary was just above the citywide average in the first half of 2018, but attached homes prices were high (around $550,000).
Bankview’s most defining feature is its proximity to 17th Avenue. This pedestrian-friendly zone is home to some of the city’s top culinary spots. Here, you can sample gourmet ice cream (Made by Marcus), travel back in time for a unique nightlife experience (Betty Lou’s Library), or browse quirky clothing boutiques and specialty shops (Steeling Home, Reid’s Stationery Store). However, potential buyers should be aware that this area may attract some rowdy nightlife with a few of popular bars nearby (The Pint, 1410 World Bier Haus).
In addition to the amenities of 17th Avenue, a local market and a few boutiques have planted roots on 14th Street, which borders the east end of the community. Our Daily Brett is gaining citywide popularity (another location is opening in Cliff-Bungalow) for its curated culinary products and grab-and-go meals. The Fringe provides top-rated hair and aesthetics services, and Luna Blue supplies trendy fashion.
Another unique feature of Bankview is the Calgary Arts Academy, a progressive public charter school offering that offers an “arts immersion” program for children from kindergarten to grade nine. Although this school teaches the prescribed Alberta curriculum, performing and visual arts are incorporated into core subjects (ie. acting out a key moment in history).
Bankview offers a few other family-friendly features including playgrounds, sports fields, and a community garden. The Giuffre Family Library and South Calgary Outdoor Pool are a short walk or drive away in neighbouring South Calgary.
Although Bankview attracts lots of young people, this neighbourhood will also appeal to young families who want to immerse their children in culture.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Bankview!
LIVING IN BANKVIEW
- Nearest C-Train Station: Sunalta (15- to 20-minute walk from most areas of Bankview)
- Easy access to Crowchild Trail, Bow Trail, and 17th Avenue
Groceries & Shopping
- Local grocery market (Our Daily Brett) and liquor store along 14th Street
- Five-minute drive to Safeway, Blush Lane Organic Market, and several gourmet food stores are located along 33 Ave SW (Springbank Cheese Co., Blue Door Oil and Vinegar, Tres Marias Mexican Food Market)
- Boutique clothing and specialty stores along 14th Street (Luna Blue), 17th Avenue (Purr Clothing, Best Buy, Structube) and in Marda Loop (Crabapple Clothing Company, Valerienne, Clothing Bar Boutique Consignment Store)
Dining & Nightlife
- Independent restaurants with a variety of cuisines along 17th Avenue (Simply Irie Caribbean Cuisine, Green Chili Fine Indian)
- Popular coffee shops (Monogram Coffee, Phil & Sebastian), specialty food stores (My Favourite Ice Cream Shoppe, Cookie Occasion) and pubs (Merchants, Original Joe’s) in Marda Loop
Health & Wellness
- Boutique fitness studios, salons and spas (Revive Lifestyle Fitness, Hello Gorgeous Skin Lab, The Fringe Hair and Esthetics)
- A number of medical clinics, dental clinics, holistic health centres, and drugstores in Marda Loop
- Grades K-6: Richmond School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: Mount Royal School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion only), Sacred Heart School (Regular)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (French Immersion and Regular), St. Monica School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular and Extended French, Regular, IB)
- Grades K-9: Calgary Arts Academy
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN BANKVIEW
- 17th Avenue Retail & Entertainment District: “Meet Me on 17th” is a phrase you will hear often in Calgary. With some of the city’s best restaurants, bars, and boutique shops, can be described as the city’s largest and most popular cultural hub.
- Shaganappi Point Golf Course: One of the largest city-run golf courses, Shaganappi offers an 18-hole course, 9-hole course, putting green, and driving range. During winter, it’s a popular spot for cross-country skiers, with trails groomed by the Calgary Ski Club.
- Marda Loop: Over 130 stores and restaurants are located along 33 Avenue SW, one of Calgary’s top shopping and dining destinations.
- South Calgary Park and Outdoor Pool: This outdoor swimming pool offers affordable admission prices and children’s swimming lessons. Bring the whole family to swim for less than $20.
- Richmond Green Golf Course: This beginners’ course has 9 holes and caters particularly to families, with a special rate for families of four.