Bel-Aire is an exclusive community of about 500 people, tucked into bustling central-southwest Calgary. Although Bel-Aire is close to Chinook Centre, Glenmore Trail, and businesses along Macleod Trail, it is bordered on two sides by the Glenmore Reservoir and a golf course, giving it a quiet suburban character. With grand, executive-style homes and tons of conveniences nearby, it’s easy to see why this picturesque community has some of the highest property values in Calgary!
Bel-Aire is home to a mature population with few young children and a higher-than-average number of seniors. Most families are older, with children near the age of graduating from high school. All homes in Bel-Aire are single-family style and carry with them a high price tag. In fact, the average cost of Bel-Aire homes has remained about three times higher than the citywide average over the past ten years!
With lots of nearby activities that appeal to older children, mature parents, and active retirees, it’s unlikely that this established community’s demographic will change any time soon. The Glenmore Athletic Park is host to a number of sports programs for teens, who will also love being a short walk from Chinook Centre. For interested families, there is a Calgary Girls School campus (Grades 4-9) located right in Bel-Aire.
Parents can enjoy a number of quiet green spaces nearby including Sandy Beach Park, the Glenmore Reservoir pathways, and three golf courses. The posh Calgary Golf and Country Club borders the community directly to the north and is one of the oldest golf courses still in play in Alberta (opened in 1911). Offering beautiful river valley views and a no-cellphone policy, this peaceful course is sure to attract members from the Bel-Aire community.
Bel-Aire also offers convenient access to amenities, and is located a twenty-minute walk from the charming Britannia Plaza Shopping Centre. There, residents can mingle with neighbours at one of the many local boutiques, the ice cream shop, or the Sunterra Market. Residents can also get involved with the community association that serves Bel-Aire and neighbouring Mayfair. This well-run group provides helpful resources to residents (including information on restrictive covenants in the neighbourhood) and hosts upscale “Evening with Neighbours” events like a martini and music night.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Bel-Aire!
LIVING IN BEL-AIRE
- Nearest C-Train Station: Chinook (20-minute walk from most areas of the community)
- Easy access to Macleod Trail, Glenmore Trail, and Deerfoot Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Five-minute drive to Sunterra Market, Britannia Wine Merchants, and boutiques located at Britannia Plaza Shopping Centre in Britannia
- Ten-minute drive to Superstore and Costco in Deerfoot Meadows
- A number of big-box retailers located along Macleod Trail (Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond) and in Deerfoot Meadows (IKEA, Best Buy)
- Short walk to Chinook Centre, where high-end and popular clothing retailers can be found
Dining & Nightlife
- Upscale restaurants in Britannia (Suzette Britannia Bistro, Elbow Room) and along 4th Street (Vin Room, Mercato)
- A variety of cuisines (Seoul Korean BBQ, Green Basil) and nightlife options (Marquee Beer Market & Stage, Blind Beggar Pub) along Macleod Trail
Health & Wellness
- Fitness studios, salons and spas in Britannia (Urban Venus Beauty Bar, Britannia Hair Company, Lagree YYC) and along 4th Street (Butter Beauty Parlour, Frilly Lilly, One Cycle Spin Studio, Yoga Santosha)
- World Health location on Macleod trail
- Physiotherapy and massage clinics in Britannia
- Five-minute drive to Glenmore Athletic Park, where a running track, an aquatic centre, tennis courts, and a number of sports fields are located
- Medical clinics, dental clinics, holistic health centres, and drugstores in Britannia and along 4th Street
- Grades K-9: Elboya School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
- Grades K-6: St. Gerard School (French Immersion only)
- Grades K-9: St. Matthew School (French Immersion and Regular), St. Augustine School (Fine Arts)
- Grades 10-12: Bishop Grandin High School (Regular, Extended French, Spanish Bilingual, Advanced Placement)
- Montessori: Calgary Montessori School
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN BEL-AIRE
- Calgary Golf & Country Club: Bordered by the Elbow River, the Calgary Golf & Country Club is the oldest private course in Alberta. Traditional etiquette is enforced and cell phones are not allowed on the course.
- Chinook Centre: The largest shopping mall in Calgary offers a range of retailers, including high-end designers, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Visitors can grab a bite to eat at one of several full-service restaurants before catching a movie at Scotiabank Theatre (Cineplex Odeon).
- Sandy Beach: Located along the Elbow River, Sandy Beach Park is a popular spot for picnics and launching rafts down the river (rafters can easily disembark an hour-long float down the river at Lindsay Park). The area is equipped with picnic areas, shelters, fire pits, and barbecue stands. Pathways run along both sides off the river, connected by a pedestrian bridge. A small hike up the east ridge offers great views of the river valley.
- Glenmore Athletic Park: This well-appointed athletic park features four soccer fields, three baseball diamonds, seven tennis courts, and an outdoor track. The Stu Peppard Arena, Glenmore Aquatic Centre, and Glenmore Velodrome are also located within the park.
- Stanley Park: A popular destination for picnicking, this park sits along a picturesque bend of the Elbow River under tall, shady cedars and hemlocks. Visitors can wade in the river, take a dip in the outdoor swimming pool, or try out the tennis and lawn bowling facilities.