The number one place to be in Calgary for connected young professionals and urbanities
Rated the best neighbourhood in Calgary in 2018 by one local magazine, Beltline is “where it’s happening”. This downtown community is home to some (arguably MOST) of Calgary’s best restaurants, nightlife, and attractions. Situated just south of the downtown core between 14 Street SW to 7 Street SE, Beltline encompasses the Saddledome, Stampede grounds, and vibrant 17th Avenue. It also offers every amenity you could possibly think of, from cozy bookstores to bicycle repair shops to cutting-edge fitness studios.
With a population of over 20,000, nearly all of whom live in multi-family residential buildings, Beltline is certainly dense. And while most residents are adults between the ages of 20 and 64, some may be surprised to find a healthy number of seniors and young children under the age of 4 living in Beltline. More than just a hub for nightlife, this community offers activities that appeal to all ages, including the nearby Glenbow Museum, the Memorial Park Library, tennis courts, playgrounds, and lots of cozy cafes.
Although Beltline is defined as one community, many know it by the two historic neighbourhoods that combined to form its modern boundaries. Connaught is the historic neighbourhood that sits west of 4th Street. Although there are some high-rises along major routes, Connaught is mostly made up of mid- to low-rise apartments. In the east, Victoria Park occupies part of Calgary’s former warehouse district. Lofts and high-rises are more common on this end, including some of Calgary’s tallest and flashiest executive-style towers.
One of Calgary’s most walkable and engaged communities, Beltline offers the kind of lifestyle that hipsters and empty nesters dream of! With apartment-style living being the norm, buyers will want to carefully consider what features each condo building has to offer before making a purchase.
Below is a list of some of the more popular buildings in Beltline, with links to description pages. Check out my Condos & Lofts page to compare with condos in other communities!
- Alura and Nuera- 1320 1 Street SE and 211 13 Ave SE, Calgary
- Arriva – 433 11 Ave SE, Calgary
- Colours – 135 13 Avenue SW, Calgary
- The Guardian Towers – 1122 3 Street SE and 1188 3 Street SE, Calgary
- Keynote 1 & Keynote 2 – 220 12 Ave SE and 225 11 Ave SE, Calgary
- Sasso – 1410 Street SE, Calgary
- Vetro – 210 15 Street SE, Calgary
- Calla – 626 14 Avenue SW, Calgary
- Castello – 530 12 Avenue SW, Calgary
- Luna – 1111 10 Street SW, Calgary
- Stella – 1110 11 Street SW, Calgary
- Nova – 1118 12 Avenue SW, Calgary
- Mark on 10th – 901 10 Avenue SW, Calgary
- The Metropolitan – 1235 11 Avenue SW, Calgary
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Beltline!
LIVING IN BELTLINE
- Local bus routes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 13, 18, 70, 90, 112, 151, 301, 302, 305
- Lots of nearby C-Train Stations along 7th Avenue and Macleod Trail
- Downtown cycle tracks
Groceries & Shopping
- Safeway, Co-op, Community Natural Foods, Amaranth Whole Foods Market
- Best Buy and Shoppers Drug Mart
- Boutique and specialty store shopping along 17th Avenue and 4th Street (Shelf Life Books, West Elm, Bamboo Ballroom, Kit and Ace)
Dining & Nightlife
- Some of Calgary’s best restaurants, bars, and cafes are located along 17th Avenue, 4th Street, 1st Street, and 11th Avenue (Calcutta Cricket Club, Cibo, Ten Foot Henry, Native Tongues, Cleaver, Analog Coffee, to name a few)
Health & Wellness
- Goodlife Fitness, Beltline Aquatic & Fitness Centre, and lots of boutique-style fitness studios (Victoria Park CrossFit, Peloton Cycling, UNDRCARD Boxing)
- A number of highly-rated spas and salons (Hedkandi Salon, RedBloom Salon, Oasis Wellness Centre and Spa)
- Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre
- Grades K-6: Connaught School (Regular), Ramsay School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: Mount Royal School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular and French Immersion)
CCSD – Victoria Park
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion), St. Monica School (Regular)
- Grade 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular and Extended French)
CCSD – Connaught
THINGS TO DO IN BELTLINE
- Lindsay Park and Repsol Sport Centre
- Elbow River and bike paths
- Scotiabank Saddledome: Home to the Calgary Flames, the Saddledome also hosts concerts and Stampede events. Dutton’s Canadian Lounge, located within the arena, is a favourite restaurant and bar for local sports fans.
- BMO Centre and Stampede Park: Calgary’s largest exhibition centre is host to wine and beer festivals, trades expos and conventions.
- Lilac Festival: One of the city’s first major summer festivals, Lilac Festival draws Calgarians to 4th Street each year in early June to experience outdoor music acts, artisan vendors, local talent and beer gardens.
- Top restaurants, bars, and shopping at 4th Street, 1st Street, 11th Avenue, and 17th Avenue