Britannia is a stylish, affluent community in central Calgary. Surrounded on three sides by park space and a step removed from major routes, Britannia is a quiet, senior-friendly community. Equipped with a European-style grocery market and charming boutiques, this walkable community has a quiet, “city-within-a-city” feel.
Impressive homes of all ages can be found in this community, most of which are single-family style. Some especially opulent houses are located on the prestigious Riverdale Avenue SW, which runs along the Elbow River. Many of these riverfront homes take advantage of the location with elaborately landscaped backyards.
Britannia has a small population of about 700 residents, most of whom are older families and seniors. A retirement home is located in the south of the community (Maison Senior Living), and there are three elementary and middle schools in neighbouring Elboya.
Britannia is known among Calgarians as a destination for a few favourite boutique shops, particularly upscale home outfitting stores. Finishing Touches trades in unique gifts and seasonal decor, and Britannia Kitchen & Home specializes in kitchen and dining wares. Smaller than the Marda Loop, 17th Avenue, or 4th Street business zones, Britannia shoppers can generally find easy parking and avoid busy crowds.
Britannia is also well-positioned to take advantage of Calgary’s inner-city green spaces. A large natural area surrounds the north and west of the community and includes the Britannia Slopes and Sandy Beach Park. There, residents can find a large off-leash area, hiking trails and paved bike pathways, picnic areas, and spectacular river valley views. There are also a number of riverside golf courses located within a short drive of Britannia, including the public Lakeview Golf Course, and private Earl Grey Golf Club and Calgary Golf & Country Club.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Britannia!
LIVING IN BRITANNIA
- Nearest C-Train Station: 39 Avenue (30-minute walk from most areas of Britannia)
- Easy access to Macleod Trail, Glenmore Trail, and Deerfoot Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Sunterra Market, Britannia Wine Merchants, and boutiques located centrally at Britannia Plaza Shopping Centre
- Five-minute drive to Safeway – Mission location(4th Street and Elbow Drive)
- Five-minute drive to Chinook Centre, where high-end and popular clothing retailers can be found
Dining & Nightlife
- Upscale restaurants in Britannia (Suzette Britannia Bistro, Elbow Room) and along 4th Street (Vin Room, Mercato)
- Centrally-located pub in Britannia (Brown’s Socialhouse), and more bars along 4th Street
Health & Wellness
- Fitness studios, salons and spas in Britannia (Urban Venus Beauty Bar, Britannia Hair Company, Lagree YYC) and along 4th Street (Butter Beauty Parlour, Frilly Lilly, One Cycle Spin Studio, Yoga Santosha)
- Physiotherapy and massage clinics in Britannia
- Ten-minute drive to Glenmore Athletic Park, where a running track, an aquatic centre, tennis courts, and a number of sports fields are located
- Medical clinics, dental clinics, holistic health centres, and drugstores along 4th Street
- Grades K-9: Elboya School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades K-6: St. Gerard School (French Immersion only)
- Grades K-9: St. Matthew School (French Immersion and Regular), St. Augustine School (Fine Arts)
- Grades 10-12: Bishop Grandin High School (Regular, Extended French, Spanish Bilingual, Advanced Placement)
- Montessori: Calgary Montessori School
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN BRITANNIA
- Boutique shopping in Britannia: A popular destination for upscale home furnishing and bridal stores, Britannia has a number of charming, locally-owned boutiques.
- Sandy Beach: Located along the Elbow River, Sandy Beach Park is a popular spot for picnics and launching rafts down the river (an hour-long float to Lindsay Park). The area is equipped with shelters, fire pits, and barbecue stands. Pathways run along both sides off the river and up the ridge to an off-leash dog park, offering great views of the river valley.
- Chinook Centre: The largest shopping mall in Calgary offers a range of retailers, including high-end designers, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Visitors can grab a bite to eat at one of several full-service restaurants before catching a movie at Scotiabank Theatre (Cineplex Odeon)
- Calgary Golf & Country Club: Bordered by the Elbow River, the Calgary Golf & Country Club is the oldest private course in Alberta. Traditional etiquette is enforced and cell phones are not allowed on the course.