A quiet, social community popular among seniors
Christie Park is a small community located off Sarcee Trail in southwest Calgary. With a large population over the age of 65, this quiet community enjoys low crime and very high community engagement (scoring 3rd place in all of Calgary for its level of engagement). Strathcona Ravine runs along the northern perimeter of the community, which is only a ten minute drive from popular Edworthy Park.
The community of Christie Park was established in 1990. Apart from a large retirement home (Wentworth Manor), residences in Christie Park are exclusively single-family homes, townhomes and duplexes. Homes are defined by the brick and stucco style characteristic of the 1990s.
Residents over the age of 65 made up nearly a quarter of the population of Christie Park in 2014, a good deal more than the citywide average of 10%. Less than 10% of the population was renting at that time. Property values in Christie Park are among the highest 15% in Calgary.
In 2017, Christie Park scored third highest in community engagement in Avenue Calgary’s annual neighbourhood review. This measure was based on voter turnout in the 2013 municipal election, the number of community supported projects, the frequency of scheduled community events and the presence of a community centre and garden, among other factors. The SCA Community Association, shared with neighbouring Strathcona Park and Aspen Woods, hosts a number of kid-friendly classes (such as art, dance and karate) and adult-oriented programs (including meditation and fitness classes, and seniors’ drop-in bridge). The Calgary Islamic Centre is located in this community.
As with many of Calgary’s far west communities, transit options are somewhat limited. Christie Park has two Park and Ride C-Train Stations located within the neighbourhood, linking it to the downtown core via the Blue Line. Still, residents will prefer to have a vehicle or may risk feeling isolated in this small community.
Although there are no commercial areas in Christie Park, West Market Square is located just south of the community across 17th Avenue SW and offers a few basic amenities like Sunterra Market and Shopper’s Drug Mart. The community is only a five to ten minute drive to Westbrook Mall (where a Walmart is located) and a fifteen minute drive to Market Mall (which offers a number of major clothing retailers). Highly-rated restaurants can be found a five to fifteen minute drive east along vibrant 17th Avenue SW.
A drawing feature for families of Christie Park is Westside Recreation Centre, located a five minute drive away in neighbouring Signal Hill. Constructed in 2000, this facility contains a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area in addition to a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides. Youth volunteers assist in running several of the kids programs (including swimming, climbing and child-minding), keeping membership costs down and promoting community engagement.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Christie Park!
LIVING IN CHRISTIE PARK
- Local bus routes (93, 94, 452, 454, 456, 698 and 699)
- Two Park and Ride C-Train Stations, 69 Street Station and Sirocco Station, are located within Christie Park
- Quick access to Sarcee Trail and Glenmore Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Sunterra Market, Sobey’s, Safeway and Blush Lane Organic Market are located within a five minute drive
- Five minute drive to Aspen Landing Shopping Centre, an upscale commercial centre built on a manmade pond and containing a number of amenities like an animal hospital, a law office, a medical clinic, several major banks, boutiques, fitness studios, cafes and restaurants.
- Five to ten minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Walmart, Dollarama, Jubilations Dinner Theatre)
- Fifteen minute drive to Market Mall (Hudson’s Bay, Old Navy, Toys ‘R’ Us and many clothing retailers)
Dining & Nightlife
- Five minute drive to restaurants in Aspen Woods (A Ladybug Bakery and Cafe, Redwater Rustic Grille, Original Joe’s)
- Five to ten minute drive to restaurants on 17th Avenue (The Himalayan, Chili Club Thai House, Spiro’s Pizza)
Health & Wellness
- Several medical service providers, Karma Yoga, Frilly Lilly Salon and Spa and Curious Hair Skin Body all located in Aspen Landing
- Grades K-6: Olympic Heights School
- Grades 7-9: Vincent Massey School
- Grades 10-12: Ernest Manning High School
- Grades K-6: John W. Costello Catholic School (Regular), Holy Name School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 6-9: St. Gregory School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN CHRISTIE PARK
- Strathcona Ravine: A stream runs through this quiet, tree-lined valley, which is located along the north perimeter of Christie Park. Pathways connect the ravine to several areas of the neighbourhood.
- Westside Recreation Centre: This recreational facility in neighbouring Signal Hill contains a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides.
- Optimist Athletic Park: Located in nearby Glendale, this athletic park is home to soccer, softball, lacrosse and football fields and an arena.
- Edworthy Park: One of Calgary’s largest parks, Edworthy Park is known for its designated bike and pedestrian pathways running along the Bow River as well as its large, well-appointed picnic areas with fire pits and shelters.
- Grey Eagle Resort and Casino: This hotel is equipped with conference facilities and a large event centre that is hosts to a number of musicians and comedy acts throughout the year.