Downtown East Village
Premier executive condominium-living in downtown Calgary
Downtown East Village is one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Calgary, although you might not guess it from the sleek high-rise condominiums and modern shops that define this community. Since the city unveiled its master plan to revitalize the Downtown East Village in 2009, this community has become a favourite for urban professionals seeking affordable downtown living options. Today, the Downtown East Village blends premier executive condominium-living and access to well-designed green spaces, with innovative local businesses providing modern lifestyle amenities.
Community at a Glance…
Affordable Downtown Condominium Living
Inner-City Green Spaces and Cultural Attractions
Located just a short walk from a few of Calgary’s best cultural and outdoor attractions (Studio Bell, RiverWalk, St. Patrick’s Island Park), Downtown East Village combines liveability and walkability in a quiet urban setting. While living options are limited almost exclusively to apartment-style condominiums, prices in Downtown East Village are among the most competitive within Calgary’s inner city. Buyers should consider that there are few grocery stores in Downtown East Village, and should expect to travel for restaurants and nightlife options (although two of Calgary’s most active destinations, Inglewood and Stephen Avenue, are located within a twenty-minute walk). Downtown East Village is located near the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre.
Scroll down for more information on Neighbourhood Amenities and Things to Do in Downtown East Village!
DOWNTOWN EAST VILLAGE HOMES FOR SALE
LIVING IN DOWNTOWN EAST VILLAGE
- Five minute walk to nearest C-Train Station (City Hall Station)
- Easy access to RiverWalk, pathways and downtown cycle track
Groceries & Shopping
- Ten to fifteen minute walk to local and organic grocery stores (Blush Lane Organic Market, Bite Grocer & Eatery)
- Ten to fifteen minute walk to CORE Shopping Centre
- Locally-owned gift shops and art galleries (Liz & Lottie, Five Art & Merchandise)
Dining & Nightlife
- Three hotspots for Calgary foodies are located in the community’s historic Simmons Building (Charbar, Sidewalk Citizen Bakery, Phil & Sebastian Coffee Roasters)
- Ten to twenty minute walk to restaurants and bars in vibrant Inglewood (The Nash, The Blues Can, Ironwood Stage & Grill) and Bridgeland
Health & Wellness
- Award-winning salons and spas (RedBloom Salon, Frilly Lilly)
- Boutique yoga and fitness studio (Live YYC)
- Five to ten minute walk to walk-in medical clinic (Imagine Health Centres)
CONDOMINIUMS IN DOWNTOWN EAST VILLAGE
For more information on condominiums in Downtown East Village, check out my reviews:
Things to Do in Downtown East Village
- RiverWalk: The Jack and Jean Leslie RiverWalk was constructed in conjunction with the city’s revitalization plan for Downtown East Village. This dedicated bike and pedestrian pathway spans 2 km from the Centre Street Bridge to the 9th Avenue SE Bridge and connects to Calgary’s extensive pathway system. In addition to offering East Village resident an alternate commute downtown, the RiverWalk is a destination in and of itself. Dotted with look-out points and inviting seating spaces, the RiverWalk serves as host to food truck festivals, open-air markets, Canada Day celebrations and more.
- St. Patrick’s Island Park: Since its full-scale restoration and reopening in 2015, St. Patrick’s Island Park has become an urban “backyard” to the inner city Downtown East Village and Bridgeland neighbourhoods. Boasting 31 acres of land, the Park includes a playground, amphitheatre, picnic area, wading channel, bike trails and an elevated boardwalk through natural wetlands. The Park is host to a variety of events throughout the summer months, including children’s storytelling, movie screenings and live music.
- Calgary Zoo: The Calgary Zoo is the top-visited zoo in Canada and is widely respected for its conservation research and animal care standards. The zoo is located a five minute drive from Downtown East Village, or can be reached on foot in under thirty minutes via pathway through St. Patrick’s Island Park.
- Studio Bell: Home to the Canadian National Music Centre, Studio Bell is one of Calgary’s most unique cultural destinations and is located at the southend of Downtown East Village. The impressive 60,000 square foot building houses five levels of exhibits, including the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and a variety of rare artifacts (one of Elton John’s pianos is showcased). In addition to general admission and guided tours, Studio Bell regularly features live music acts and licensed events.