Elboya is a diverse community located in central Calgary, south of the Elbow River between Macleod Trail and Elbow Drive. Property values vary greatly depending on the exact area of the community, but all homes benefit from convenient access to park space, transit, restaurants, and shopping. With a short commute to downtown, and three schools and a retirement home in the neighbourhood, Elboya has something to offer every buyer!
Perhaps because this community has so many great features, Elboya’s population is evenly distributed with a mix of all ages. About half of residents own their homes, and about one-third of homes are apartment-style units (mostly located in the east, near Macleod Trail).
At the north end of the community, luxury homes line the banks of the Elbow River along Riverdale Avenue SW. A number of desirable lots can also be found in the west end of the community near Elbow Drive, where Britannia Plaza and three schools are situated. This side of the community is quieter, being further away from Macleod Trail, and is closer to the Britannia Slopes and Sandy Beach Park.
In east Elboya, affordable options can be found along Macleod Trail, including older homes and apartment-style units. Of course, Macleod Trail is a major artery lined with industrial and commercial businesses, so buyers can expect more noise and pollution than other areas of the community. But residents near Macleod Trail also benefit from quick access to transit options and a short walk to nearby amenities (speciality stores, restaurants and bars, Chinook Centre, and even a board game cafe).
Elboya shares an active community association with neighbouring Britannia. Social events are held throughout the year at the community hall located in Stanley Park. This park, which borders the north end of the community, offers a number of open air activities with an outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, and picnic areas equipped with BBQ stands. It’s a popular spot for wading in the Elbow River, and is home to a lawn bowling club.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Elboya!
LIVING IN ELBOYA
- Nearest C-Train Station: 39 Avenue (15- to 20-minute walk from most areas of Elboya)
- Easy access to Macleod Trail, Glenmore Trail, and Deerfoot Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Sunterra Market, Britannia Wine Merchants, and boutiques located at nearby Britannia Plaza Shopping Centre
- Five-minute drive to Safeway – Mission location (4th Street and Elbow Drive)
- Five-minute drive to Chinook Centre, where high-end and popular clothing retailers can be found
Dining & Nightlife
- Upscale restaurants in Britannia (Suzette Britannia Bistro, Elbow Room) and along 4th Street (Vin Room, Mercato)
- A variety of cuisines (Seoul Korean BBQ, Green Basil) and nightlife options (Marquee Beer Market & Stage, Blind Beggar Pub) along Macleod Trail
Health & Wellness
- Fitness studios, salons and spas in Britannia (Urban Venus Beauty Bar, Britannia Hair Company, Lagree YYC) and along 4th Street (Butter Beauty Parlour, Frilly Lilly, One Cycle Spin Studio, Yoga Santosha)
- World Health location on Macleod trail
- Physiotherapy and massage clinics in Britannia
- Ten-minute drive to Glenmore Athletic Park, where a running track, an aquatic centre, tennis courts, and a number of sports fields are located
- Medical clinics, dental clinics, holistic health centres, and drugstores in Britannia and along 4th Street
- Grades K-6: Elbow Park School (Regular)
- Grades K-9: Elboya School (Regular and French Immersion), Rideau Park School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
- Grades K-6: St. Gerard School (French Immersion only)
- Grades K-9: St. Matthew School (French Immersion and Regular), St. Augustine School (Fine Arts)
- Grades 10-12: Bishop Grandin High School (Regular, Extended French, Spanish Bilingual, Advanced Placement)
- Montessori: Calgary Montessori School
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN ELBOYA
- Stanley Park: A popular destination for picnicking, this park sits along a picturesque bend of the Elbow River under tall, shady cedars and hemlocks. Visitors can wade in the river, take a dip in the outdoor swimming pool, or try out the tennis and lawn bowling facilities.
- Sandy Beach: Located along the Elbow River, Sandy Beach Park is a popular spot for picnics and launching rafts down the river (rafters can easily disembark an hour-long float down the river at Lindsay Park). The area is equipped with picnic areas, shelters, fire pits, and barbecue stands. Pathways run along both sides off the river, connected by a pedestrian bridge. A small hike up the east ridge offers great views of the river valley.
- Glenmore Athletic Park: This well-appointed athletic park features four soccer fields, three baseball diamonds, seven tennis courts, and an outdoor track. The Stu Peppard Arena, Glenmore Aquatic Centre, and Glenmore Velodrome are also located within the park.
- Chinook Centre: The largest shopping mall in Calgary offers a range of retailers, including high-end designers, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Visitors can grab a bite to eat at one of several full-service restaurants before catching a movie at Scotiabank Theatre (Cineplex Odeon)
- Calgary Golf & Country Club: Bordered by the Elbow River, the Calgary Golf & Country Club is the oldest private course in Alberta. Traditional etiquette is enforced and cell phones are not allowed on the course.