Established in 1958, Glamorgan is a diverse yet close-knit community in west Calgary. Bordered by Sarcee Trail to the west and Glenmore Trail to the south, this neighbourhood sits close to Calgary’s city limits but still feels bustling with a large population and a relatively short commute downtown. Glamorgan is an affordable option for buyers looking to take advantage of west Calgary’s amenities, like the Westside Recreation Centre and Signal Hill shopping plaza, and the quick drive to the mountains.
Glamorgan is an older community, with a higher number of seniors and fewer children than the city average. There is a slightly higher percentage of young adults aged 20 to 24—probably because Mount Royal University is located minutes away in Lincoln Park. Although there may be some student renters living in the community, close to two-thirds of residents own their homes.
Glamorgan offers lots of home styles to choose from! Approximately one-third of homes are detached, one-third are duplexes or townhouses, and one-third are apartments or condominiums. Compared to neighbouring Signal Hill, homes in Glamorgan are a lot more affordable. In 2017, the average price of a detached home (around $546,000) was just above the citywide average. The cost of an attached home (condo, duplex, or townhouse) was quite a bit lower than the rest of the city at around $276,000.
The Horizon Housing Society, which provides affordable and integrated housing options to Albertans, recently opened a new development in the community, providing even more affordable options to those who qualify.
Glamorgan residents are a tight-nit group with lots of community spirit. Glamorgan’s community association can easily be considered one of the most active in Calgary, hosting weekly social events like out of its large, central community centre. The association’s website offers an online forum for residents to buy and sell goods, advertise for garage sales, and post “lost and found” items. The Horizon Housing Society has actively worked with the association to foster support for the Glamorgan development among community residents. Outside of formal events, residents can get to know one another at one of Glamorgan’s several churches, sports fields, or playgrounds.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Glamorgan!
LIVING IN GLAMORGAN
- Nearest C-Train Station: Sirocco Park and Ride Station or 45th Street Station (five- to ten-minute drive away)
- Easy access to Sarcee Trail and Glenmore Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Safeway and other amenities located in northeast corner of community (on Richmond Road)
- Superstore, Shoppers Drug Mart, Best Buy, Winners and more big box retailers located a five-minute drive away in neighbouring Signal Hill
- Ten-minute drive to Aspen Landing Shopping Centre, an upscale commercial centre built on a manmade pond and containing a number of amenities like an animal hospital, a law office, a medical clinic, several major banks, boutiques, fitness studios, cafes and restaurants.
- Ten-minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Walmart, Dollarama, Jubilations Dinner Theatre)
Dining & Nightlife
- Richmond’s Pub, Momo-Yama Sushi, and Glamorgan Bakery located in northeast corner of community (on Richmond Road)
- Phoenix Grill, Earl’s Kitchen + Bar, and National located in neighbouring Signal Hill
- Five-minute drive to restaurants in Aspen Woods (A Ladybug Bakery and Cafe, Redwater Rustic Grille, Original Joe’s)
- Ten- to fifteen-minute drive to restaurants and bars along 17th Avenue (The Himalayan, Chili Club Thai House, Spiro’s Pizza)
Health & Wellness
- Medical service providers (medicentre, family doctors, dentists and optometrists), spas and salons located in neighbouring Signal Hill (Skoah, Salon Luminous, Chatters) and Aspen Woods (Karma Yoga, Frilly Lilly Salon and Spa, Curious Hair Skin Body)
- Grades K-6: Glenbrook School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: A. E. Cross School (Regular and Spanish Bilingual)
- Grades 10-12: Central Memorial High School(Regular, AP, Career & Technology, Off-Campus Work Experience)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion Only), St. Andrew School (Regular)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 6-9: St. Gregory School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN GLAMORGAN
- Mountain View Bowling: As one of the city’s top bowling facilities, Mountain View Bowling is reviving this classic sport with 1950s-themed retro nights, glow-in-the-dark bowling, corporate and birthday party packages, and competitive leagues for both 5- and 10-pin bowling!
- Westside Recreation Centre: This family-oriented leisure centre was build in 2010 and is closely involved with the community, offering fee assistance and youth volunteer programs. Located in the northwest corner of the community, its modern facilities include a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides!
- Westhills Cineplex Odeon Movie Theatre: Newer, modern facilities at the Westhills Cineplex Odeon make for a comfortable movie theatre experience.
- Grey Eagle Resort and Casino: This hotel is equipped with conference facilities and a large event centre that is hosts to a number of musicians and comedy acts throughout the year.