Glenbrook is an established community in west Calgary, bordered by Sarcee Trail to the west and Richmond Road to the south. Although Glenbrook is positioned to take advantage of west Calgary’s modern amenities, it comes without the high price tag typical of neighbourhoods in this area of the city. This large, diverse community also offers a variety of homes styles to choose from, including condominiumized duplex and townhome “villages.”
Glenbrook has a large population of about 7,000 residents who are a mix of all ages. About half of residents rent their homes. There are lots of duplex and townhome options to choose from, which make up nearly half the homes in Glenbrook. One-third of homes are single-family style and there are a few apartment-style buildings in the mix. The typical cost of a detached house in Glenbrook (around $540,000 in 2017) is close to the citywide average, and attached homes are even more affordable (falling under the city average at around $320,000 in 2017).
The Glenbrook Community Association is quite active, although it operates a bit more informally than other community groups in Calgary. The association hosts events throughout the year like ice skating parties and casino nights, and is great at keeping residents up-to-date on issues that affect their community. Residents can also connect by posting garage sale notices and promoting sports events on the community’s Facebook page. The centrally-located community hall is large enough to host weddings and other functions, and an upstairs boardroom can also be reserved. Outside the hall, an ice rink converts into “panel tennis,” volleyball, and basketball courts during the summer.
Another great feature of this suburb is that, even though it sits outside the city centre, it is still quite walkable. Amenities can be found at every corner of the community (including Safeway, Canadian Tire, Home Outfitters, Goodlife Fitness, and popular consignment store located right in the neighbourhood). Even more shops, restaurants, and businesses can be found at a huge shopping district in neighbouring Signal Hill (Cineplex Odeon, Best Buy, Indigo, and more)!
Glenbrook also enjoys outstanding access to recreational facilities, being close to Westside Recreation Centre and Optimist Athletic Park. Offering fee assistance programs and youth volunteer opportunities, the Westside Recreation Centre is a pillar of the community. It’s modern facilities include a rock climbing wall, arena, gymnasiums, a youth fitness centre, and a wave pool. At Optimist Athletic Park, which sits on the northwest border of Glenbrook, residents can find a number of well maintained sports fields (lacrosse, soccer, softball), the site of tournaments throughout the summer months. There is also an arena that hosts kids and adult hockey leagues during winter.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Glenbrook!
LIVING IN GLENBROOK
- Nearest C-Train Station: Sirocco Park and Ride Station (five-minute drive away) or 45th Street Station (twenty-minute walk from most areas of the community)
- Easy access to Sarcee Trail and Glenmore Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Save-On-Foods, Co-op, Canadian Tire, and other amenities (liquor store, gas station, pet store) located at the southeast corner of community (Sarcee Trail and Richmond Road)
- Superstore, Shoppers Drug Mart, Best Buy, Winners and more big box retailers located a five-minute drive away in neighbouring Signal Hill
- Ten-minute drive to Aspen Landing Shopping Centre, an upscale commercial centre built on a manmade pond and containing a number of amenities like an animal hospital, a law office, a medical clinic, several major banks, boutiques, fitness studios, cafes and restaurants.
- Five-minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Walmart, Dollarama, Jubilations Dinner Theatre)
Dining & Nightlife
- Buffalo Bob’s Pub, The Funky Banana Juice Shop, Sophie’s Pizza located in southwest corner of community
- Phoenix Grill, Earl’s Kitchen + Bar, and National located in neighbouring Signal Hill
- Five-minute drive to restaurants in Aspen Woods (A Ladybug Bakery and Cafe, Redwater Rustic Grille, Original Joe’s)
- Ten- to fifteen-minute drive to restaurants and bars along 17th Avenue (The Himalayan, Chili Club Thai House, Spiro’s Pizza)
Health & Wellness
- Goodlife Fitness and Richmond Square Medical Centre located in southwest corner of community
- Medical service providers (medicentre, family doctors, dentists and optometrists), spas and salons located in neighbouring Signal Hill (Skoah, Salon Luminous, Chatters) and Aspen Woods (Karma Yoga, Frilly Lilly Salon and Spa, Curious Hair Skin Body)
- Grades K-6: Glenbrook School (Regular), Glendale School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: A. E. Cross School (Regular and Spanish Bilingual)
- Grades 10-12: Ernest Manning High School (Regular, AP, Off-Campus Work Experience)
- Grades K-5: St. Thomas Aquinas (Regular)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 6-9: St. Gregory School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN GLENBROOK
- Optimist Athletic Park: Located on the northwest border of Glenbrook, this large, city-run athletic park boasts regulation-sized soccer, softball, lacrosse and football fields—and an arena. The park is host to both kids and adults sports leagues, and is the site of sports tournaments throughout the year.
- Westside Recreation Centre: This family-oriented leisure centre was build in 2010 and is closely involved with the community, offering fee assistance and youth volunteer programs. Located in the northwest corner of the community, its modern facilities include a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides!
- Westhills Cineplex Odeon Movie Theatre: Newer, modern facilities at the Westhills Cineplex Odeon make for a comfortable movie theatre experience.
- Grey Eagle Resort and Casino: This hotel is equipped with conference facilities and a large event centre that is hosts to a number of musicians and comedy acts throughout the year.