Located in west Calgary, Glendale is a tight-knit, family-friendly community defined by the number of nearby sports and recreation facilities nearby. Bordered by 17th Avenue to the north and Sarcee Trail to the west, the Optimist Athletic Park is located right in the neighbourhood and is one of the city’s busiest hubs for sports leagues. The modern Westside Recreation Centre is also located nearby, in neighbouring Signal Hill. With lots of affordable single-family homes to choose from, buyers seeking a home in an established community outside the city centre will love the amenities that Glendale has to offer!
Residents of Glendale are a mix of all ages. About 80% of residents own their homes, and almost all homes in the community are single-family style. There are just a few townhouses and apartment-style homes in the northeast of the community. The average cost of a detached home in Glendale is a bit higher than the citywide average, squaring off around $586,000 during 2017.
As with most of west Calgary, Glendale is a family-oriented neighbourhood with great access to recreational facilities. Glendale’s own Optimist Athletic Park is equipped with a number of sports fields (softball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, and football) and an arena. The Westside Recreation Centre, which boasts a rock climbing wall, lazy river, and wave pool, is located in neighbouring Signal Hill. For even more recreation facilities, the city-run Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre is equipped with a lane pool and weight room, and offers affordable babysitting services.
One great feature of Glendale that will appeal to families is the number of nearby schools. Glendale School (a CBE elementary school), St. Thomas Aquinas School (a Catholic elementary school), and St. Gregory School (a Catholic middle school) are all located right in the community and are open to Glendale residents to attend. The CBE-designated middle schools are also a short distance away in neighbouring Westgate and Glenbrook. For parents who prefer a private school atmosphere, the Rundle College campus in nearby Springbank Hill offers children the option to attend the same school from kindergarten right through to Grade 12.
But Glendale is also practical for seniors, with lots of amenities within walking distance (Shoppers Drug Mart, Westbrook Mall) and serene green spaces that are a short drive away (Strathcona Ravine, Douglas Fir Trail, Shaganappi Point Golf Course). There are opportunities to volunteer and get involved with the Glendale Community Association, which operates a hall, tennis courts, and a community garden at the centre of the neighbourhood. Even young adults can find a home in Glendale, with affordable homes, easy access to the downtown core via the C-Train and busses that run along 17th Avenue, and lots of nearby restaurants and pubs.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Glendale!
LIVING IN GLENDALE
- Nearest C-Train Station: 45th Street Station (five- to ten-minute walk from most areas of the community)
- Easy access to Sarcee Trail, Glenmore Trail, and Crowchild Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- A small grocery store, Shoppers Drug Mart, and liquor store are located in the northwest of the community (five- to ten-minute walk form most areas)
- Two-minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Safeway, Walmart, Dollarama, Sport Chek)
- Five-minute drive to Sunterra, Crowfoot Wine and Spirits, and a drugstore located at nearby West Market Square
- Ten-minute drive to Indigo, Best Buy, Winners and more big box retailers located a five-minute drive away in Signal Hill
Dining & Nightlife
- Pop’s Taphouse, Murdoch Bar & Grill, Pho Huong Viet, and fast food options (Tim Hortons) located in northeast corner of community
- Five- to ten-minute drive to restaurants and bars along 17th Avenue (The Himalayan, Spiro’s Pizza, Cassis Bistro, Newcastle Pub)
- Jubilations Dinner Theatre located in nearby Westbrook Mall
Health & Wellness
- Goodlife Fitness and Richmond Square Medical Centre located in neighbouring Glenbrook
- Fitness options along 17th Avenue (Hot Yoga on 17th, Killarney Aquatic and Recreation Centre
- Westside Recreation Centre, medical service providers (medicentre, family doctors, dentists and optometrists), spas and salons located in neighbouring Signal Hill (Skoah, Salon Luminous, Chatters)
- Grades K-6: Glendale School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: A. E. Cross School (Regular and Spanish Bilingual), Vincent Massey School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: Ernest Manning High School (Regular, AP, Off-Campus Work Experience)
- Grades K-5: St. Thomas Aquinas School (Regular)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 6-9: St. Gregory School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN GLENDALE
- Optimist Athletic Park: Located in the southwest corner of Glendale, this large, city-run athletic park boasts regulation-sized soccer, softball, lacrosse and football fields—and an arena. The park is host to both kids and adults sports leagues, and is the site of sports tournaments throughout the year.
- Jubilations Dinner Theatre: Jubilations has entertained Calgarians for more than 16 years, with musical comedies that play on pop culture trends and current events. Guests are served a four-course meal during these interactive, three-part shows.
- Westside Recreation Centre: This family-oriented leisure centre was build in 2010 and is closely involved with the community, offering fee assistance and youth volunteer programs. Located in the northwest corner of the community, its modern facilities include a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides!
- Westhills Cineplex Odeon Movie Theatre: Newer, modern facilities at the Westhills Cineplex Odeon make for a comfortable movie theatre experience.