Hounsfield Heights-Briar Hill
Upscale homes and panoramic views define this convenient, central community
Hounsfield Heights-Briar Hill is a picturesque community perched on a ridge in northwest Calgary, with stunning views of the Bow River Valley to the south and Rocky Mountains to the west. Originally established in the 1950s, developers have since capitalized on the community’s panoramic views and constructed a number of expansive luxury in-fills. With the North Hill Shopping Centre located in the northwest corner of the community, this convenient and walkable community is also well-appointed with amenities.
Homes in Hounsfield Heights-Briar Hill are mostly single-family detached; about 35% of homes are apartment-style. There aren’t many townhomes or duplexes. Although some houses remain from the 1950s and 1960s, many lots (particularly those with the best views) have been redeveloped into grand residences. With an average detached home price of $768,000 in the first half of 2018, these luxury in-fills drive up the average property value. However, the average cost of condos in the community is just above the citywide average. Most residents in the community own their homes.
Due to the Bethany senior residence and long-term care facility being located in the neighbourhood, there is a very high proportion of seniors over the age of 75 (these residents make up 24% of the population, compared to the citywide average of 4%!). However, there are also a fair number of older teenagers and young adults under the age of 24 living in the community, possibly because the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and University of Calgary are so close.
With a C-train station conveniently located in a central area of the neighbourhood, Hounsfield Heights-Briar Hill also enjoys good access to transit. However, crimes rates in the community are quite high. The AADAC Day Program and Youth Services centre is located in the community.
One downside for nature lovers is that the community has few parks and green spaces (apart from a fairly large off-leash dog area). There are no major parks within walking distance and the community just a bit too far from the Bow River pathways for residents to be able to use them daily.
Of course, with the Trans-Canada Highway bordering this community there is bound to be some noise and pollution in north areas of the community. Nonetheless, for buyers with the right budget, Hounsfield Heights-Briar Hill is a great option for high-end homes in a central location with an easy commute to downtown Calgary!
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Hounsfield Heights-Briar Hill!
LIVING IN HOUNSFIELD HEIGHTS-BRIAR HILL
- Local bus routes 19, 40, 72, 73, 104, 404, 414, 791
- Lions Park C-Train Station is located centrally in the community
- Easy access to Trans-Canada Highway/16 Avenue NW and Crowchild Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart and other major retailers located at North Hill Centre
- Five-minute drive to boutique shopping along 10th Street NW (Ridley’s Cycle, Hot Wax Records, Kensington Konsignment, Great Outdoors, Purr Petite Clothing) and in Kensington Village
- Ten-minute drive to Brentwood Village Shopping Centre and Market Mall
Dining & Nightlife
- Juree’s Thai Place, Ricky’s All-Day Grill, pubs, and fast food options along Trans-Canada Highway/16 Avenue NW
- Top-rated restaurants, cafes, and bars a five-minute drive away in Kensington Village (Higher Ground Cafe, Hayden Block Smoke & Whiskey, Shijo Sushi, Pulcinella, Wine Bar, Kensington Pub, Original Joe’s) and along 10th Street NW (Midtown Kitchen & Bar, Wow Chicken, Freshii, Red’s Diner, Vero Bistro Moderne, Ikemen Ramen Bar, Fusion Sushi and Thai, Julio’s Barrio, Oak Tavern)
Health & Wellness
- North Hill Community Health Centre, Apex Massage Therapy, and various health care service providers at North Hill Centre and along Trans-Canada Highway/16 Avenue NW
- AADAC Day Treatment Program and Youth Services
- Fitness options (Yoga Shala, Freehouse Dance School, World Health Gym)
- Salons and spas (Hair Rockstar, Curious Hair Skin Body Studio, Angles Hair and Aesthetics)
- Grades K-6: Briar Hill School (Regular)
- Grades K-6: Hillhurst School (Regular)
- Grades K-12: Queen Elizabeth High School (Regular)
- Grades K-6: St. Pius X School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Joseph School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: Madeleine D’Houet School (French Immersion Only)
- Grade 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular and Extended French), St. Francis High School (Regular and Extended French)
THINGS TO DO IN HOUNSFIELD HEIGHTS-BRIAR HILL
- Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium: Government-owned and operated by a not-for-profit society, the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium has brought arts and culture to Calgary for over sixty years. Situated adjacent to the SAIT campus, the auditorium underwent a full-scale renovation in 2004. Showcasing musicals, opera, live music acts, speakers, comedy, and more, the auditorium is also frequently used for conferences and graduations.
- Riley Park: This family-friendly park located just off 10th Street N attracts visitors for its lagoon-shaped wading pool, rock garden, and cricket pitches. A playground, concession, washroom facilities, and ample parking round out the park, making for an easy and comfortable visit.
- Bowview Outdoor Pool: Located just south of the community at West Hillhurst Park, this public pool also has a splash area for toddlers.
- McMahon Stadium: Home of the Calgary Stampeders and University of Calgary Dinos, this football stadium has hosted a number of significant events over the years, including the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1988 Winter Olympics. The stadium occasionally serves as an open-air venue for concerts and festivals.
- Kensington Village: Over 250 business are located along this historic avenue, including top-rated restaurants, specialty stores, high-end salons and spas, and clothing and jewellery boutiques. But there’s more to do than shopping — check out The Plaza alternative film theatre, Trapped Escape Room, or Hexagon board game cafe for out-of-the-box fun on a rainy day.