Calgary's largest fresh water lake community
With 2 beaches, 2 islands, a 22,000 square foot beach club, multiple parks, 74 acres of wetlands, 22 kilometers of paved walking/bike paths and nearby amenities like the Mahogany Village Market, Seton, and Auburn Bay Dog Park – it’s easy to see why so many people want to call Mahogany, home. Being a lake community in SE Calgary is not in itself an uncommon occurrence. Mahogany sets itself apart from the herd by not only being the newest lake community, or the largest at whopping 63 acres but also non-typical in it’s design. Straying away from the standard circular style lake we’ve all come to know, Mahogany has instead opted for a horseshoe design that allows for more lake homes and development around it’s perimeter. Some of the perks of this design have allowed for separate beach areas, a large central park design, a walking path that leads across 2 bridges and back to the central park, and large multi-family development with lake front condos in an amenity rich building – Westman Village.
Being a 4 season lake community, Mahogany residents are able to enjoy a multitude of both indoor and outdoor recreational activities all year long. The Mahogany beach club has a skate room, an indoor gymnasium that houses basketball courts, badminton nets, indoor soccer/hockey nets along with a fitness center with gym equipment and a large event space which residents can reserve and rent at a nominal cost. There are many activities and programs that are held in the beach club all year round; art classes, board game nights, yoga and fitness classes, open gym time and other scheduled activities and classes are always going on. The outdoor amenities rival those available within the beach club with an outdoor gym, multiple playgrounds, fishing pier, boat marina, fire pit, barbecue and picnic areas, basketball and beach volley ball courts. In the winter the Mahogany Homeowners Association takes all necessary precautions to ensure safe ice conditions and has the ice cleared for family skating, ice hockey and designated areas for ice fishing.
More than just a lake community, Mahogany has a very unique addition in the wetlands. The wetlands is a 74 acre natural park and storm water pond that is riddled with green space, water foul habitat, park space, and paved pathways that link up to the existing Calgary paths which can take you to Fish Creek Park, Glenmore Reservoir, and the Bow River Pathway system. Residents are able to enjoy evening strolls, jog, bike, or play within the wetlands pathway system all while spotting an abundance of small animal life and many different species of birds that wouldn’t otherwise be present. The Wetlands isn’t only pretty, it also serves a very important function to the surrounding community.
Being a truly natural life sustaining environment the Mahogany wetlands provide:
- Waterfowl habitat which is now at risk from excessive development, this also allows habitat for many other species of birds, amphibians, and small mammals.
- Being a large body of water used as a reservoir it will help the community control flooding potential and reduce risk of flooding.
- An abundance of natural space for trees, bushes, and other plants to nurture and grow with natural evaporation from the wetlands to help support growth and abundance.
- Improved water quality with renewable, sustainable water that is filtered for reduced contaminants.
Real Estate in Mahogany:
Mahogany is set upon completion to be one of the largest communities in Calgary, both in size and population. From a real estate purchase perspective, Mahogany has something for everyone. Apartment style complexes, townhouses, duplex’s, single family starter homes, move up homes, all the way to luxury lake access properties, lake front properties, and the exclusive island collection homes.
Living in Mahogany
Divine Mercy Elementary K-6 – CCSD – located 228 Mahogany Blvd. SE
- Elementary K-6, Riverbend School located at 65 Rivervalley Drive SE
- Junior High 7-9, Sherwood School located at 2011 66th Avenue SE
- Senior High 10-12, Henry Wisewood located at 910 75th Avenue SW
French Immersion Options include:
- Elementary K-4, Sundance School located at 200 Sunmills Drive SE
- Junior High 5-9, Fairview School located at 7840 Fairmont Drive SE
- High School 10-12, Dr. E.P. Scarlett located at 220 Canterbury Drive SW
- Elementary & Junior High K-9, Monsignor J.S. Smith located at 2919 Douglasdale Blvd SE
- Senior High 10-12, Bishop Grandin located at 111 Haddon Road SW
Condos in Mahogany
- Westman Village
- Eboby Apartments
Things to do in Mahogany
- Ice Hockey
- Ice Fishing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Paddle boarding
- Beach Volleyball
- Movie night in the park
Other Lake Communities:
- Auburn Bay
- McKenzie Lake
- Lake Bonavista
- NW: Arbour Lake
- NE: Coral Springs
- Okotoks: Crystal Shores
Communities Close to Mahogany:
- New Brighton
- McKenzie Towne