Mayfair is a small, exclusive community located in central-southwest Calgary. Bordered by the Glenmore Reservoir to the west and Glenmore Trail to the south, this established neighbourhood blends convenience and comfort. Although a bit more affordable and kid-friendly than neighbouring Bel-Aire, Mayfair still offers a number of luxury homes to choose from!
Lots of children live in Mayfair, particularly between the ages of 5 and 14. This community is also home to many senior residents. Perhaps not surprisingly given the price tags of homes, there are not many young adults between the ages of 24 and 35 living here. All homes in Mayfair are single-family style, and almost all are owner-occupied (according to the latest census information gathered in 2014). The average cost of the stunning homes in this community was around $1.1 million during 2015 to 2017.
Mayfair offers lots of nearby activities that appeal to children, parents, and active retirees alike. The Glenmore Athletic Park is host to a number of children’s sports programs, and there is a Calgary Girls School campus (Grades 4-9) located a short walk away in Bel-Aire. Parents can keep kids entertained at nearby Chinook Centre, where there is a Cineplex Odeon Theatre with a large arcade.
Kids and adults will both appreciate being close to Sandy Beach Park, which offers well-appointed picnic areas (BBQs, fire pits, and shelters) and a large off-leash dog area. At Stanley Park, all ages can enjoy tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool, which has a slide and wading pool for youngsters. Both parks are popular spots to wade or launch a raft in the Elbow River.
Adults will particularly enjoy the peaceful Glenmore Reservoir pathways and the three golf courses located within a short walk or drive from Mayfair. The posh Calgary Golf and Country Club sits just north of neighbouring Bel-Aire, and is one of the oldest golf courses still in play in Alberta (opened in 1911), offering beautiful river valley views and a no-cellphone policy.
Residents can also get involved with the local community association that serves both Mayfair and Bel-Aire. This well-run group provides helpful resources to residents (including information on restrictive covenants in the neighbourhood) and hosts upscale “Evening with Neighbours” events like a martini and music night.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Mayfair!
LIVING IN MAYFAIR
- Nearest C-Train Station: Chinook (20-minute walk from most areas of the community)
- Easy access to Macleod Trail, Glenmore Trail, and Deerfoot Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Five-minute drive to Sunterra Market, Britannia Wine Merchants, and boutiques located at Britannia Plaza Shopping Centre in Britannia
- Ten-minute drive to Superstore and Costco in Deerfoot Meadows
- A number of big-box retailers located along Macleod Trail (Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond) and in Deerfoot Meadows (IKEA, Best Buy)
- Short walk to Chinook Centre, where high-end and popular clothing retailers can be found
Dining & Nightlife
- Upscale restaurants in Britannia (Suzette Britannia Bistro, Elbow Room) and along 4th Street (Vin Room, Mercato)
- A variety of cuisines (Seoul Korean BBQ, Green Basil) and nightlife options (Marquee Beer Market & Stage, Blind Beggar Pub) along Macleod Trail
Health & Wellness
- Fitness studios, salons and spas in Britannia (Urban Venus Beauty Bar, Britannia Hair Company, Lagree YYC) and along 4th Street (Butter Beauty Parlour, Frilly Lilly, One Cycle Spin Studio, Yoga Santosha)
- World Health location on Macleod trail
- Physiotherapy and massage clinics in Britannia
- Five-minute drive to Glenmore Athletic Park, where a running track, an aquatic centre, tennis courts, and a number of sports fields are located
- Medical clinics, dental clinics, holistic health centres, and drugstores in Britannia and along 4th Street
- Grades K-9: Elboya School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
- Grades K-6: St. Gerard School (French Immersion only)
- Grades K-9: St. Matthew School (French Immersion and Regular), St. Augustine School (Fine Arts)
- Grades 10-12: Bishop Grandin High School (Regular, Extended French, Spanish Bilingual, Advanced Placement)
- Montessori: Calgary Montessori School
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN MAYFAIR
- Calgary Golf & Country Club: Bordered by the Elbow River, the Calgary Golf & Country Club is the oldest private course in Alberta. Traditional etiquette is enforced and cell phones are not allowed on the course.
- Chinook Centre: The largest shopping mall in Calgary offers a range of retailers, including high-end designers, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Visitors can grab a bite to eat at one of several full-service restaurants before catching a movie at Scotiabank Theatre (Cineplex Odeon).
- Sandy Beach: Located along the Elbow River, Sandy Beach Park is a popular spot for picnics and launching rafts down the river (rafters can easily disembark an hour-long float down the river at Lindsay Park). The area is equipped with picnic areas, shelters, fire pits, and barbecue stands. Pathways run along both sides off the river, connected by a pedestrian bridge. A small hike up the east ridge offers great views of the river valley.
- Glenmore Athletic Park: This well-appointed athletic park features four soccer fields, three baseball diamonds, seven tennis courts, and an outdoor track. The Stu Peppard Arena, Glenmore Aquatic Centre, and Glenmore Velodrome are also located within the park.
- Stanley Park: A popular destination for picnicking, this park sits along a picturesque bend of the Elbow River under tall, shady cedars and hemlocks. Visitors can wade in the river, take a dip in the outdoor swimming pool, or try out the tennis and lawn bowling facilities.