N3 by Knightsbridge
450 8 Avenue SE, Calgary
N3 (which stands for “New Attitude, New Vision and New Lifestyle”) certainly offers a fresh approach to Calgary living — it is one of the few condominium complexes in the city to be designed without parking for residents or visitors. Given the city’s sprawling layout and limited transit options, this may be a deal breaker for many buyers. However, for those who work nearby or commute by transit or bicycle, N3 can be a great fit.
Located in the newly revitalized (and still developing) Downtown East Village, N3 is only a few minutes’ walk to the nearest C-Train Station and one street north of a major bicycle route that links up with Calgary’s downtown cycle track. While the Downtown East Village is still developing in terms of restaurants, nightlife and amenities like grocery stores, residents are a short walk or bicycle ride away from the more established neighbouring communities of Bridgeland and Inglewood. In addition, the East Village Junction (a “pop-up retail park”) is located across the street from N3 and opens from May to September. There, residents will find a variety of retailers set up in colourful shipping containers along with live music, workshops and food trucks.
For active urbanites, N3 offers affordable options for downtown living. As compared to the sleek, modern suites of neighbouring complexes Evolution and FIRST, N3’s interiors are no-nonsense. Basic and traditional kitchen and bathroom fixtures keep unit prices down. Most of the building’s common spaces are also formulated without a lot of bells and whistles — the roof-top patio is equipped only with basic seating and barbecues. However N3’s fitness room is a well-appointed, two-storey facility, once again appealing to the active young professional. N3 also has underground bicycle storage and a wash station on site.
Given the price range and the absence of parking, there is likely to be a higher-than-average percentage of renters and travellers staying in the building (at the time of writing this article, several vacation and rental suites were advertised online). Buyers should therefore anticipate some transience among residents. However, given the building’s unique features, buyers will surely also meet like-minded individuals committed to an active, green lifestyle.
More on the Developer
Knightsbridge Homes began developing homes in Calgary in 1990, focusing primarily on infills in inner city areas and larger country residences. Its first multi-family projects were located in rural and west end communities. Knightsbridge then teamed up with Metropia, a Toronto-based urban developer, to spearhead two condominium buildings located in “University City” and a townhouse development in Brentwood. For more information on other developments by Knightsbridge and Metropia, click below:
N3 in the News
- Year Built: 2017
- Developer/Architect: Knightsbridge Homes & Metropia
- Architect: GEC Architecture
- Interior Designer: Jacqueline Strathern
- Total Number of Units: 167 (15 storeys)
- Unit Style(s): One bedroom, one bedroom plus den, two bedroom
- Unit Size Range: 476 sq. ft. – 620 sq. ft.
- Unit Price Range: approx. $254,000 – $380,000+
- Avg. Condominium Fee: $250 – $350 (approx. $0.54 per sq. ft.)
- Parking Options: ***No parking available***
- Storage Options: Underground assigned lockers and bike storage
- Building Amenities:
- West-facing roof-top patio with barbecues and outdoor seating
- Spacious, two-storey gym located on 15th floor (top floor) with city views
- Bicycle repair and wash station
- Interior Features:
- All units equipped with air conditioning
- Unique to N3 by Knightsbridge: The most significant feature is that there is no parking available for residents or visitors. The building is equipped to be bicycle-friendly, and residents will enjoy an active, green lifestyle. Given the price range and lack of parking, this building may attract more renters and travellers.