Signal Hill is one of the largest communities in Calgary, with a population of close to 14,000 (half the size of Okotoks)! This community encompasses the smaller neighbourhoods of Sienna Hills and Signal Ridge, known for large detached homes and quiet cul-de-sacs. Located in the far west end of Calgary, Signal Hill enjoys mountain vistas and a short, hour-long commute to the Rockies.
Signal Hill sits on the outskirts Calgary, bordered to the south by Glenmore Trail. Residents are a fairly even mix of ages, although there is a high percentage of seniors living in the area. There are also a variety of homes to choose from that will suit different ages, stages, and lifestyles. While two-thirds of homes in Signal Hill are single-family style, about one-fifth are apartment-style and there are also a number of duplexes and townhomes.
Developed in the 1980s and 1990s, buyers will notice a lot of the red brick, pale stucco, Palladian windows, and brass details that were popular during that era. The average price of detached homes in Signal Hill is higher than the citywide average (about $500,000), hovering around $732,000 during 2017. However, the average price of attached homes was on par with the rest of the city (around $362,000 during 2017). The diverse range of housing options means that young adults and families can establish roots in the community and still enjoy the possibility of eventually growing into a larger home without having to leave the neighbourhood.
Located in the far west of Calgary, Signal Hill feels a lot like its own little city. Residents do not need to travel far for basic needs with tons of amenities located right in the neighbourhood. A large outlet and shopping plaza is situated at the southeast corner, where residents can find almost every big box retailer in Canada (Winners, Mark’s Work Warehouse, Indigo, and Best Buy, to name just a few!). Signal Hill even has its own movie theatre and recreation centre.
In fact, Westside Recreation Centre might be one of Signal Hill’s best features. This grassroots organization was established by a group of dedicated volunteers, with support from the City of Calgary and a number of donors. Opened in 2000 and expanded in 2010, Westside Recreation Centre offers top-notch facilities that include gymnasiums, fitness studios, an arena, a rock climbing wall, and an aquatic centre equipped with a wave pool, waterslides, and lazy river. This progressive organization also offers child care, volunteer opportunities, and a fee assistance programs for Calgarians in financial need.
For more opportunities to get involved with the community, residents can volunteer with the Signal Hill Community Association. This community group is run by an active board of volunteers that keeps residents up to date on news and events affecting the community. The association’s professionalism is evident from its Community Business Plan (published yearly), e-mail news subscription, and user-friendly website. The association also hosts open table discussions on issues that impact residents.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Signal Hill!
LIVING IN SIGNAL HILL
- Nearest C-Train Station: 69 Street and Sirocco Park and Ride Stations (located at the north end of the community)
- Easy access to Sarcee Trail and Glenmore Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Superstore, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Best Buy, Winners and more big box retailers located in Signal Hill Centre and West Hills Towne Plaza (south end of community)
- Five- to ten-minute drive to Aspen Landing Shopping Centre, an upscale commercial centre built on a manmade pond and containing a number of amenities like an animal hospital, a law office, a medical clinic, several major banks, boutiques, fitness studios, cafes and restaurants.
- Five- to ten-minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Walmart, Dollarama, Jubilations Dinner Theatre)
Dining & Nightlife
- Phoenix Grill, Earl’s Kitchen + Bar, and National located in southeast of community
- Five-minute drive to restaurants in Aspen Woods (A Ladybug Bakery and Cafe, Redwater Rustic Grille, Original Joe’s)
- Five- to ten-minute drive to restaurants and bars on 17th Avenue (The Himalayan, Chili Club Thai House, Spiro’s Pizza)
Health & Wellness
- Medical service providers (medicentre, family doctors, dentists and optometrists), spas and salons (Skoah, Salon Luminous, Chatters) located in southeast of community
- Karma Yoga, Frilly Lilly Salon and Spa and Curious Hair Skin Body all located in Aspen Landing
- Grades K-6: Battalion Park School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: A. E. Cross School (Regular and Spanish Bilingual)
- Grades 10-12: Ernest Manning High School (Regular, AP, Off-Campus Work Experience)
- Grades K-5: St. Thomas Aquinas (Regular)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 6-9: St. Gregory School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN SIGNAL HILL
- Westside Recreation Centre: This family-oriented leisure centre was build in 2010 and is closely involved with the community, offering fee assistance and youth volunteer programs. Located in the northwest corner of the community, its modern facilities include a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides!
- Westhills Cineplex Odeon Movie Theatre: Newer, modern facilities at the Westhills Cineplex Odeon make for a comfortable movie theatre experience.
- Battalion Park: This peaceful park located in the centre of the community has historical significance, with rock formations built to commemorate World War I and honour battalions from all over Alberta. The stones can be observed from a lookout point, and bike pathways link this park to more green spaces and sports fields within the community.
- Optimist Athletic Park: Located in nearby Glendale, this athletic park is home to soccer, softball, lacrosse and football fields and an arena.
- Grey Eagle Resort and Casino: This hotel is equipped with conference facilities and a large event centre that is hosts to a number of musicians and comedy acts throughout the year.