The River Condominiums
135 26 Avenue SW, Calgary
The River Condominiums are a strikingly elegant luxury development perched on the north bank of the Elbow River, on a quiet cul-de-sac in Mission. Completed in 2015, The River broke records for luxury condominium sales in Calgary, marking an upward shift in the city’s economic growth. Designed by leading architectural firm, DIALOG, and executed by a division of the Ledcor Group of Companies, The River sets the bar for luxury condo living in Calgary.
The River is composed of two rowhouse podiums, one of which is topped by a 15-storey apartment-style tower. In between the rowhouse structures, an expansive courtyard-style driveway leads to the tower’s grand entrance. Limestone cladding and wood accents on the townhome exteriors match the natural character of surrounding environment, while the tower’s floor-to-ceiling glass windows are minimally disruptive to the skyline. The effect is an organic yet elegant facade that fits with the Elbow River’s natural beauty.
All suites in The River are spacious, with no more than four units occupying each floor of the tower (and several units occupying an entire floor!). The three-storey townhomes are designed with three-season courtyard spaces equipped with outdoor fireplaces, and have direct access to the underground parkade. Residents of The River enjoy extensive amenities that add to this building’s palatial feel. With in-house chef catering, a massage room, pet washing facilities, and 24-hour concierge service, The River’s opulence may be unmatched in Calgary.
In addition to style, The River is notable for its innovative, practical design features that minimize the building’s overall energy usage. South facing triple-glazed windows capture heat in winter and west-facing fins reduce heat during summer, while high efficiency plumbing features minimize water consumption. A vegetated roof captures and filters rain water into the city storm system. All units utilize reclaimed materials and energy-efficient appliances.
About the Developer
The real estate development arm of construction giant Ledcor is relatively new to the multi-family residence scene, but has constructed over 8,000 residential units across North America in the past ten years. The River is this developer’s first completed residential project in Calgary, which will be followed by Cascata, currently in its pre-sale stage.
The architect of The River, DIALOG, is fluent in many types of building design, from government to science and technology uses. The River is DIALOG’s only residential project in Calgary, although it is responsible for luxury condo Ultima in Edmonton and a number of non-residential buildings in Calgary. DIALOG was involved in the design of the University of Calgary’s Energy Environment and Experiential Learning building, which received the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification.
Other Projects by the Developer
- Cascata (pre-construction) – 25 Ave SW and Erlton Street
The River in the News
THE RIVER BUILDING FEATURES
- Year Built: 2015
- Developer: 26th Avenue River Investments Inc., a division of Ledcor Group Canada
- Architect: DIALOG
- Total Number of Units: 38 (15 storeys)
- Unit Style(s): 27 single-level apartment style units, ranging from 1 to 2 bedrooms + 11 three-storey townhomes
- Unit Size Range: 1,400 sq. ft. – 5,000 sq. ft. (average 3,000 sq. ft.)
- Unit Price Range: approx. $120,000 – $8,000,000
- Avg. Condominium Fee: approx. $0.75 – $0.85 per sq. ft.
- Parking Options: Titled underground parking (1-4 stalls depending on unit)
- Storage Options: Assigned storage lockers
- Building Amenities:
- Car wash bay
- Pet grooming and wash facilities
- Massage room
- Exercise room
- Board room
- Social/entertainment room
- Guest suite
- Chef catering
- 24-hour concierge and security service
- Secured bicycle storage
- Video entry system
- Restricted floor access
- Unit Features:
- Triple-glazed Low E windows
- Mechanized window coverings
- Zone heating and air conditioning
- 9-foot ceilings
- Wolf and Sub-Zero appliances
- Large balconies with gas hook up (in apartment-style units)
- Three-season elevated courtyards with outdoor fireplaces (in townhomes)
- Pet policy: Permitted, subject to board approval
- Unique to The River: The River sets the bar for luxury, riverside living, with nearly every building amenity you can think of. Located on the north bank of the peaceful Elbow River in the desirable neighbourhood of Mission, this building enjoys beautiful views and easy access to park space and amenities along 4th Street. The River was designed by leading architectural firm DIALOG and employs cutting edge environmentally-conscious features.