UPPER MOUNT ROYAL
Upper Mount Royal is an opulent inner-city neighbourhood that sits atop a hill with sweeping views of downtown Calgary. Established in the early 1900s, the CPR promoted Mount Royal as an exclusive neighbourhood for the well-to-do. Today, impressive homes of all ages can be found here (including some palatial infills)!
When Upper Mount Royal was in its early stages, restrictions were placed on land titles to ensure that only single-family homes of a minimum cost were built. Although land in Lower Mount Royal was subdivided and developed for more affordable housing options, Upper Mount Royal has maintained its affluent character with large lots and expansive homes.
Some apartment buildings have since been erected in Upper Mount Royal (mostly owned and operated by commercial rental companies), but the majority of homes in this community are still single-family style. The mean cost of homes is more than twice the rest of the city, averaging out to approximately $1,360,000 over the past three years.
The Glencoe Club provides residents of Upper Mount Royal with premier private sport and social club facilities. Established in 1931, the club has strong roots in the community but has also modernized to include state-of-the-art golf simulators and fitness facilities.
In addition to stunning homes, Upper Mount Royal enjoys a number of picturesque parks tucked away on street corners. It’s a short distance from the Elbow River and bike pathway system, which easily links to Stanley Park to the south and Lindsay Park to the north.
The Mount Royal Community Association operates out of the charming Mount Royal Station building in the centre of the community, surrounded by two tennis courts, a playground, and a field that is flooded for a skating rink each winter. Although less active than other community associations in Calgary in terms of sports and fitness programs, the group vigorously supports community betterment initiatives including traffic safety protocols and a pedestrian trail linking 17th Avenue and Sifton Boulevard (the “Prospect Trail”).
Although Upper Mount Royal is a step removed from the hubbub of the 17th Avenue retail and dining district (Lower Mount Royal sits in between), it’s easy enough for residents to walk or take a short cab ride to superior restaurants (Cibo, Bread & Circus Trattoria, Model Milk) and high-end boutique shops (Kit and Ace, Gravity Pope). A charming local market (Our Daily Brett) and top-rated salons (The Fringe, Hello Gorgeous SkinLab) have also popped up along 14th Street, which borders the west end of the community.
Buyers with fine tastes need look no further than Upper Mount Royal for upscale homes, premier dining and shopping, and an elite sports and social club — all within the heart of the city.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Upper Mount Royal!
LIVING IN UPPER MOUNT ROYAL
- Nearest C-Train Station: Sunalta (20- to 30-minute walk from most areas of Upper Mount Royal)
- Access to Crowchild Trail, Macleod Trail, and 17th Avenue
Groceries & Shopping
- Local grocery market (Our Daily Brett) and liquor store along 14th Street
- Five-minute drive to Safeway, Blush Lane Organic Market, and several gourmet food stores (Springbank Cheese Co., Blue Door Oil and Vinegar, Tres Marias Mexican Food Market) in Marda Loop
- Boutique clothing and specialty stores along 14th Street (Luna Blue), 17th Avenue (Purr Clothing, Best Buy, Structube) and in Marda Loop (Crabapple Clothing Company, Valerienne, Clothing Bar Boutique Consignment Store)
Dining & Nightlife
- Independent restaurants with a variety of cuisines along 17th Avenue (Simply Irie Caribbean Cuisine, Green Chili Fine Indian)
- Popular coffee shops (Monogram Coffee, Phil & Sebastian), specialty food stores (My Favourite Ice Cream Shoppe, Cookie Occasion) and pubs (Merchants, Original Joe’s) in Marda Loop
Health & Wellness
- Boutique fitness studios, salons and spas along 14th Street (Revive Lifestyle Fitness, Hello Gorgeous Skin Lab, The Fringe Hair and Esthetics)
- Medical clinics, dental clinics, holistic health centres, and drugstores in Marda Loop and along 4th Street
- Grades K-6: Earl Grey School (Regular)
- Grades K-9: Rideau Park School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: Mount Royal School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: Western Canada High School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion only), Sacred Heart School (Regular)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (French Immersion and Regular), St. Monica School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular and Extended French, Regular, IB)
- Grades K-9: Calgary Arts Academy
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN UPPER MOUNT ROYAL
- 17th Avenue Retail & Entertainment District: “Meet Me on 17th” is a phrase you will hear often in Calgary. Boasting some of the city’s best restaurants, bars, and boutique shops, 17th Avenue can be described as the city’s largest and most popular cultural hub.
- Shaganappi Point Golf Course: One of the largest city-run golf courses, Shaganappi offers an 18-hole course, 9-hole course, putting green, and driving range. During winter, it’s a popular spot for cross-country skiers, with trails groomed by the Calgary Ski Club.
- Marda Loop: Over 130 stores and restaurants are located along 33 Avenue SW, one of Calgary’s top shopping and dining destinations.
- 4th Street: Known for being a culinary hotspot, 4th Street is home to a number of highly-rated, independent restaurants with a variety of cuisines (Mercato, Suzette Brittany Bistro, Aida’s Bistro, Rajdoot, and Anejo, to name just a few!).