Westgate is an older community located in west Calgary, south of Bow Trail and east of Sarcee Trail. With two schools in the neighbourhood, nearby recreation facilities, and affordable detached homes to choose from, Westgate is certainly a family-friendly community. But Westgate will also appeal to young adults and seniors, offering smaller housing options (townhouses, duplexes, apartment-style), nearby parks, and a short commute to the downtown core.
Compared to most communities in west Calgary, Westgate is a bit more dense and has less park space in the community. But it is also more affordable (the cost of a detached home in Westgate was close to the citywide average in 2017) and offers more varied housing options to purchase (townhouse, duplex, and apartment-style). There are relatively few renters, as almost three-quarters of residents own their homes.
Westgate’s population ranges in age—not surprising considering this neighbourhood has features that will appeal to all stages and lifestyles. With Shaganappi Point Golf Course, Edworthy Park, and Strathcona Ravine all located nearby, there are lots of outdoor activities for retirees. Young adults are just a ten-minute drive or bus ride from the downtown core, via Bow Trail.
Families will appreciate that the community’s designated CBE elementary school (Wildwood School) is only a short bus ride away, and the CBE junior high school (Vincent Massey School) is located right in the neighbourhood. The Optimist Athletic Park in neighbouring Glendale is equipped with lacrosse, soccer, softball, and football fields, and hosts both kids’ and adults’ sports leagues. There is lots for families to do at the nearby Westside Recreation Centre, one of west Calgary’s top features. This modern facility boasts a rock climbing wall, wave pool, lazy river, and even a youth-oriented fitness centre. The Westside organization also offers fee-assistance programs and volunteer opportunities for youth.
The Westside Community Association hosts a variety of social events and program, with something for every age. Bridge lessons, hip hop and urban arts programs, Lego contests, and regular potlucks are just a few of the varied activities that this well-run association offers. The community hall is located centrally and is a popular spot for weddings and other functions, with the capacity to host 240 people. An outdoor rink, large playground, and baseball diamonds can be found outside the hall.
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Westgate!
LIVING IN WESTGATE
- Nearest C-Train Station: 45th Street Station (ten- to fifteen-minute walk from most areas of the community)
- Easy access to Sarcee Trail, Bow Trail, and Crowchild Trail
Groceries & Shopping
- Five-minute drive to Westbrook Mall (Safeway, Walmart, Dollarama, Sport Chek)
- Five-minute drive to Sunterra, Crowfoot Wine and Spirits, and a drugstore located at nearby West Market Square
- Ten-minute drive to Indigo, Best Buy, Winners and more big box retailers located a five-minute drive away in Signal Hill
Dining & Nightlife
- A Pizza Plus, Misato Sushi, Signature Palace Chinese Restaurant, Levilla Steakhouse located within a five-minute drive
- Five- to ten-minute drive to restaurants and bars along 17th Avenue (The Himalayan, Spiro’s Pizza, Cassis Bistro, Newcastle Pub)
- Jubilations Dinner Theatre located in nearby Westbrook Mall
Health & Wellness
- Tranquil Escape Spa, Barre Body Studio, Spa Lady Fitness located in or near Westgate
- Goodlife Fitness and Richmond Square Medical Centre located in nearby Glenbrook
- Fitness options along 17th Avenue (Hot Yoga on 17th, Killarney Aquatic and Recreation Centre)
- Westside Recreation Centre, medical service providers (medicentre, family doctors, dentists and optometrists), spas and salons located in neighbouring Signal Hill (Skoah, Salon Luminous, Chatters)
- Grades K-6: Wildwood School (Regular)
- Grades 7-9: Vincent Massey School (Regular)
- Grades 10-12: Ernest Manning High School (Regular, AP, Off-Campus Work Experience)
- Grades K-6: Holy Name School (French Immersion Only)
- Grades K-9: St. Michael School (Regular and French Immersion)
- Grades 10-12: St. Mary’s High School (Regular, French Immersion, IB)
Community Ward and Councillor
THINGS TO DO IN WESTGATE
- Edworthy Park: Edworthy Park is known for its designated bike and pedestrian pathways running along the Bow River as well as its large, well-appointed picnic areas with fire pits and shelters.
- Optimist Athletic Park: Located in the southwest corner of Glendale, this large, city-run athletic park boasts regulation-sized soccer, softball, lacrosse and football fields—and an arena. The park is host to both kids and adults sports leagues, and is the site of sports tournaments throughout the year.
- Jubilations Dinner Theatre: Jubilations has entertained Calgarians for more than 16 years, with musical comedies that play on pop culture trends and current events. Guests are served a four-course meal during these interactive, three-part shows.
- Westside Recreation Centre: This family-oriented leisure centre was build in 2010 and is closely involved with the community, offering fee assistance and youth volunteer programs. Located in the northwest corner of the community, its modern facilities include a fitness centre, rock climbing wall, ice rink and children’s play area. There is also a large aquatic centre with a wave pool, lane pool, lazy river and waterslides!
- Shaganappi Point Golf Course: One of the largest city-run golf courses, Shaganappi offers an 18-hole course, 9-hole course, putting green, and driving range. During winter, it’s a popular spot for cross-country skiers, with trails groomed by the Calgary Ski Club.