Walkable, senior-friendly community located near Southcentre Mall and three golf courses
Willow Park is an established, picturesque community located in southeast Calgary, bordered by Macleod Trail to the west and Anderson Road to the south. With Southcentre Mall, a major grocery store (Safeway), and a number of restaurants located directly in the neighbourhood, residents can walk to reach most amenities. Scoring well on a number of community features, Willow Park is a highly-rated neighbourhood that families and seniors will want to consider before buying their next home.
Active retirees love Willow Park. Despite that there are no senior homes in the community, the percentage of senior citizens (65+) living in Willow Park is double the citywide average! This may be due to the fact that the community is quite walkable (for being located outside of the downtown core), and is full of opportunities for senior-friendly hobbies and activities.
The Trico Recretion Centre, situated at the south end of the community, offers part-year membership options for “snowbirds” and a number of senior-oriented fitness programs. Willow Park Golf & Country Club is located in the centre of neighbourhood, and the Maple Ridge Golf Course and Alberta Tennis Centre are a short drive away in neighbouring communities Acadia and Maple Ridge. There is easy access to the Bow River pathways and Sue Higgins Park, a great area for bird-watching and nature trails.
Although seniors make up a large portion of the population of Willow Park, there are still a number of family-friendly activities in this established community.The Trico Centre (which is equipped with a wave pool and waterslide) offers kids sports programs, day camps, and childcare. Fish Creek Library, three elementary and junior high schools, and a music school are located in the neighbourhood. Families can enjoy a unique team-building experience at two “escape room” amusement centres (The Locked Room and Key Quest Escape), and Girl Guides and Scouts programs are offered through the active Willow Park Community Association.
In Willow Park, 70% of homes are single-family units (20% townhome, and only 10% apartment). About 80% of residents own their homes, suggesting a stable population with long-term neighbours. For all these reasons, Willow Park will appeal to families and seniors looking for a close-knit community with tons of things to do year-round!
Scroll down for photos and fast facts on Willow Park!
LIVING IN WILLOW PARK
- Local Bus Routes (10, 79, 80)
- Anderson C-Train Station and Southland C-Train Station are located nearby (most residents can reach either within a twenty minute walk)
Groceries & Shopping
- Prime location for access to shopping
- Southcentre Mall, Canadian Tire, and Safeway are located in the community
- Several major grocery stores and retailers are located nearby along Macleod Trail (RONA, Bulk Barn, Wal-Mart, CO-OP, Costco Save-On-Foods, and Sobeys)
- Ten minute drive to Deerfoot Meadows shopping centre (IKEA, Superstore, Best Buy) and Calgary Farmer’s Market
Dining & Nightlife
- Restaurants: Earls, Milestones, Broken Plate, Chianti Cafe, Sushi Ginza, Wellington’s Steakhouse
- A number of restaurants and bars are located nearby along Macleod Trail
Health & Wellness
- Trico Centre, 9Round Kickboxing
- Located in nearby Acadia: Acadia Recreation Centre, Acadia Aquatic & Fitness Centre, and Alberta Tennis Centre
- Allan Centre (Women’s Health), Canyon Dental
- Grades K-4 (Regular): Maple Ridge School
- Grades 5-9 (Regular): R. T. Alderman School
- Grades 10-12: Lord Beaverbrook High School
- Grades K-6: St. Cecilia School (French Immersion only), St. William School (Regular)
- Grades K-9: St. Matthew School (Regular, French Immersion)
- Grades 7-9: St. Bonaventure School (Regular, Spanish)
- Grades 10-12: Bishop Grandin High School (Extended French)
Private / Other
- Foundations for the Future Charter Academy (Southeast Elementary Campus and South Middle School)
- Roli Mack’s Music School
THINGS TO DO IN WILLOW PARK
- Trico Centre: The Trico Centre is a non-profit recreation centre that has served the community for 35 years. The facility boasts an aquatic centre (equipped with a wave pool and waterslide), two full-sized arenas, a fitness centre and a gymnasium. Childminding is available, and a number of age-specific fitness and sports programs are offered. Membership rates are quite reasonable and flexible.
- Willow Park Golf & Country Club: The Willow Park Golf & Country Club is one of Calgary’s oldest and most prestigious. Each year the club hosts a charity tournament, which has raised a significant amount of money for local organizations since 1988.
- Maple Ridge Golf Course: This public golf course is appointed with 18 holes, a putting green, and a club house. Although considered to be one of the pricier city-run golf courses, Maple Ridge is particularly scenic with mature trees and well-maintained greens. During winter, the course is groomed for cross-country skiing.
- Southcentre Mall: One of Calgary’s largest shopping centre, this mall has over 190 stores and several restaurants. The mall’s anchor stores are Crate & Barrel, Sporting Life, and Hudson’s Bay.
- KeyQuest Escape Room and The Locked Room: “Escape room” amusement centres have become increasingly popular in Calgary in recent years. With themed rooms that require teamwork and puzzle-solving to “escape”, this activity is great for families and young adults!
- Sue Higgins Park: This large off-leash dog park offers designated fenced-in paddocks and swimming areas.